Delicious, mouth-watering, traditional Malvani Chicken recipe from our kitchen at the Rajmudra Beach Resort in Malvan, Maharashtra, India. Kombdi Vade is native to the Malvan region in Maharashtra. Vade is a fried dumpling made out of rice flour. Kombdi Vade is a recipe which is a combination of Malvani chicken curry, which is a coconut-based curry, made out of chicken bones and Vade’s. The dish is mildly spiced with coriander leaves, chilli, and black peppercorns. It is popular during holidays like Dev Diwali, Gauri Ovase, Shimga, Gatari in the districts of Konkan.
Ingredients (4 servings)
For the Vade
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp methi Powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1tbsp oil
For the Chicken Curry
- ½ kg chicken cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1tsp curds
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- -1 onion sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 Red Byadagi Chillies dried
- 3 Cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3tbsp oil
- 2 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 1tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Kolhapuri Kaanda Lasun Masala (special ingredient)
- ½ tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
How to make the Vade?
- In a bowl, add rice flour, salt, turmeric powder, methi powder, cumin powder, (haldi), oil and warm water. Mix and knead it into a smooth dough. Keep it to rest for 10-15 mins.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Grease a plastic sheet with a little oil and place the ball in it. Cover it with another plastic sheet . Press the ball gently and flatten it a little.
- Deep fry the vade till crispy and golden on both sides.
- Serve it with Malvani chicken curry.
How to make the Chicken curry (Kombdi Rassa)?
- Wash the chicken and drain the water. Marinate with all the ingredients mentioned above and set aside for about 1-2 hours.
- In a kadhai, roast the dry Byadagi red chilies, set them aside. Add the other whole spices and roast them till they emit a slight aroma. Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar after cooling.
- Fry the onions with a little bit of oil till translucent.
- Add the grated fresh coconut and sauté on a medium flame till it browns a bit. Ensure that you do not over roast it. Let it cool. Transfer the onion and coconut into the mixer jar.
- Grind together the whole roasted spices, onion, coconut, tamarind paste along with a little water to get a smooth paste.
- In a deep bottomed kadhai, add oil. When it heats up, add the cloves, cinnamon, green and black cardamom and bay leaves as mentioned in the ingredients for tempering.
- When they splutter, add the diced onions and saute till they are browned.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Now its time to add in the chopped tomatoes. Cook till mushy. You can add a pinch of salt as it helps fasten the cooking process.
- Add in the ground paste and fry well, till the oil separates.
- Add in our special ingredient Kolhapuri Kaanda Lasun Masala and mix.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix well. Saute for a few minutes, till the chicken turns whitish.
- Add water and cover and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally till the chicken is well cooked.
- Check the seasoning and adjust as required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
It is time to serve the aromatic Malvani chicken curry with the hot fried golden brown vade’s. This recipe is a jewel in every Malvani household and is popular among children and adults alike. I hope you too enjoy this dish. Let us know your thoughts about it in the comment section below.